Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Day 3 / Session 3 / Year 2

I can't believe how much we've been able to do in 3 days, but we've managed to complete most of the tracking that was left without feeling rushed, including a whole new track, drums (most of the drums were done last year at Counterpoint studios). "Ministry of Truth" is turning out really cool. That song was half baked before we came into Matt Winegar's studio, and it took some lobbying from my part to to convince the band that this song had potential. I think we are all pretty happy with the results so far, including Matt.

So far, beside some minor edits here and there, all that we have left are the guitars and extra arrangements for "The Gathering Darkness" and vocals in all tracks. I think subconsciously I've been leaving this song for last. I know what I want my parts to be, but I'm not so sure how well they will translate to tape (figuratively speaking, the tape thing that is). I'm also a little nervous about my solo on this track. I only do a couple of solos in the new stuff anymore, Brett has taken most of the leads. It is not such a big deal, but for some reason I've been worrying. Another reason I was holding back on this track, is that the guitar I was planning on using (it is a custom made guitar, tentatively to be named $30 Phat Tele Deluxe), was missing a couple of pieces on the tuning pegs, so it was having a hard time keeping in tune. Today I was able to finally get the parts to fix it (props to Gary at Guitar Technologies).

We are also improvising a track with Matt called "Journey to the Central Machine". Or I'm trying to make Matt interpret my thoughts through weird keyboard voices. Tentatively to be the intro track or a bridge track somewhere in the record. That is TBD.

Brett was supposed to leave his mark on this blog too. Are you there somewhere, Brett?

- Oliver.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drum Setup at Counterpoint Studios.

Drum Setup at Counterpoint Studios.
right click / View Image to see whole picture.